Philosophy and History
I believe all students can learn, in their own time and in their own way. Students are smart in spots, and I try to find those spots. Successful people use their strengths to learn, grow, and succeed. My goal is to guide students in using their strengths, and to help them improve weak areas, which may become new strengths.
I love integrating the language arts into the content areas, so many of my writing assignments involve science and social studies.
"I believe each individual is naturally entitled to do as he pleases so far as it in no wise interferes with any other man's rights." ~Abraham Lincoln. I try to work with each student's unique talents, and I also manage them in one learning environment so we all succeed, teacher and students.
My parents are Charles Jefferson Edwards and Ruth Emma McIntosh; I am English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, Swedish, and Norwegian. My people were independent-minded in order to survive in Scotland and in North Dakota. My grandfather, William Washington Edwards, helped discover and document the nitrogen-fixing nature of alfalfa in the early years of North Dakota history.
Today, my husband Scott and I enjoy the ten grandchildren that bounce around us whenever our four children visit with their families, or when the grandkids visit for the summer.
I couldn't imagine a better place to work and teach and live than with the energetic students and the supportive families in Nespelem and Coulee Dam.
It was an honor to teach at Nespelem School for thirty-one years.
How do I achieve the school mission? Please read here: Mission
Federman, Alan N. and Sheri Edwards. Interactive, Collaborative Science Viea the 'Net: Live from the Hubble Space Telescope. THE Journal (Technological Horizons In Education) Vol. 24(1997).
Edwards, Sheri. "Native American Students and Service Learning." Curriculum in Context (WSASCD) 21(1993): 4-6.
Hamilton, B. "Integrating Technology in the Classroom: Tools to Meet the Needs of Every Student." ISTE: Eugene, OR, 2015: pp. vi, 139, 167, 244.
Krebs, D. and Zvi, G. The Genius Hour Guidebook: Fostering Passion, Wonder, and Inquiry in the Classroom (Eye on Education Books). Routledge. 2015. pp. xvi, 8, 9, 27, 125.
Wade, R., Editor. "Chapter 10: Middle School Programs by Felicia George, Nespelem School, Washington." Community Service Learning: A Guide to Including Service in the Public School Curriculum: State University of New York Press, 1997: 172-173.
Friesem, J. "Intergenerational Service Learning Unit: How Can We Help Our Elders?--Nespelem School." The Clearinghouse database, New York: National Helpers Network, Inc., 1994.
Kesting, P. "Helping Hands: How student volunteerism can inspire good citizenship and good academics." Cable in the Classroom: CCI/Crosby Publisining, 1994: 12-14.
Interview on EdTechTalk
Education and Training
- 2002-2006 NO LIMIT! New Outcomes: Learning Improvement in Mathematics Integrating Technology
- Students use problem-based learning to improve their achievement of math skills.
- 2001 Gonzago Indian Education Outreach Program (GIEOP) Science Institute
- 1999-2002+ Technology Integration, Teacher Leadership Project, Bill and Milinda Gates Foundation
- 1994 Multiple Intelligence Workshops
- 1993 Excellence in Indian Education Symposium
- 1992 Masters of Education, Curriculum and Instruction, Integrated Language Arts Emphasis, Eastern Washington University
- 1986 Excellence in Indian Education Symposium
- 1988-1995 TAG Training: Talented and Gifted Instruction
- 1985 Teaching Certificate: K-12 Reading; 4-12 Math; K-8 Elementary Endorsements
- 1985 Bachelor of Arts Degree, Magna Cum Laude, Major: Reading; Minor: Math; Eastern Washington University
- Retired Teacher; Forever Learning
- Summer 2016 #CLMOOC Facilitator: Google Plus Community
- Author, Educator Books
- Reciprocal Teaching: Online and Offline Strategies
- Google Apps Quick Formative Assessments - Sample
Previous Teaching Positions
- Technology Advocate, Nespelem School
- Reading Grade 8 and Writing Grades 5-8
- Grade 8 Self-contained classroom
- Grade 7-8 Combination classroom
- Grade 6 Self-contained classroom
- Grade 5-6 Combination classroom
- Grade 1 Self-contained classroom
- STAR Club: Students That Are Rare Gifted and Talented Program (10 years)
- Service Learning with Elders
Years at Nespelem School
- I have been privileged and honored to have taught at Nespelem School since 1985 (31 years).
My Library at LibraryThing
Student Interactive Projects
- Global Read Aloud: Fourteenth Goldfish
- Global Read Aloud: Our of My Mind
- Online Safety: Digital Citizenship
- Eracism Flat Classroom Project Debate Team 6
- Gonzaga Indian Education Outreach Program -- Mentorship
- Genesis Sun Project
- LIve from Hubble
- Live from the Stratosphere
- Live from the Sun
- Live from Mars
- Into the Abyss
- Signatures in Space: Our School's student signatures soared in space with a Native American astronaut!
- Technology Integration
- That Star Club Talented and Gifted Program
- Odyssey of the Mind (Second Place)
- Peer Reading Tutors
- Giraffe Project
Staff Development Leader
- 1994-2000 Curriculum Alignment to Standards
- 1994 Service Learning Presenter
- "Basic Service Learning From a Native American Perspective" Pacific Northwest Service-Learning Conference; Portland, OR
- "Service Learning" Chelan School District
- 1993 Task Force for Grades 7-8
- 1991 Washington Indian Education Association Conference presenter (Omak, WA)
- 1991 Celebration of Learning Collaborative Staff Program
- 1988-1998 Talented and Gifted Student (TAG) Instructor
- Technology Coordinator and Committee
- Student Handbook
- Project Real
- Culture/JOM/Title 1 Parent Committee
- Title V Parent Committee in 1987-1989 developed
- CARE: Children Afterschool Reinforcing Education
- Culture Curriculum
- Native Language Program
- Cooperative/Collaborative Planning Committees (Grand Coulee Dam School District)-1991
- #9 Encouraged positive communication/policy changes by providing Nespelem parent concerns and suggesting teaching strategies
- #2 Developed school reform plans favorable to Native American students
- Curriculum Integration; Middle School Curriculum Integration
- Google Apps Training (2011)
- Wiki Instructor (2007)
- NSD Web Pages (pre-2005)
- Student Mac Computer Projects After School (pre-2005)
- ISTE: International Society for Technology in Education
- ASCD: Association for Supervision of Curriculum Development
- NCTE: National Council of Teachers of English
- Choice Literacy: Literacy Coaching
- IRA: International Reading Association
- Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- NCTM: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Other Professional Activities and Networks
National Writing Project Inquiry Communities Network
National Writing Project Rural Sites Network
Choice Literacy Coach Network
English Companion Network
Classroom 2.0 Network
We Are Teachers Network
TLP Technology listserv
GLEF Technology listerv
MIT Technology Review
Coalistion of Essential Schools Network
All Kinds of Minds Network
NASA Science listserv
NASA Quest listserv
NASA Jet Propulsion Lab listerv
Washington Social Studies listserv
- 2009: North Central Educational Service District Excellence Award
- 1996 North Central Educational Service District Excellence Award
- 1995 Washington Association of Educators for Talented and Gifted (WAETAG) Teacher of the Year, North Central Region
Ms. Edwards's Home Page (Web 1.0 Static Site)
Wiki Home Page